It’s always best to get the nutrients your body needs through a healthy diet, but the harsh realities of pregnancy can often make that difficult to do. During the nine months a woman’s body spends supporting the growth of another life, it’s not surprising that she may need some nutritional assistance. Prenatal vitamins are a fantastic way for pregnant women, or women who are planning on getting pregnant, to get all the vitamins and minerals required for a healthy pregnancy.
With so many options on the market, it can be difficult to know which prenatal vitamins are best for you. In this article we’ll cover all you need to know about prenatal vitamins, and all the benefits they have for both you and your baby.
Why are Prenatal Vitamins Important?
A mother-to-be’s-body is under a lot of stress during pregnancy. While most women are able to eat enough for both mother and baby during pregnancy, it can still be quite difficult to get all of the specific essential nutrients required for a healthy mother and baby. Not only do prenatal vitamins cover all the baby’s basic nutrition needs, but they also play a fundamental role in lessening the chances of birth defects.
Many pregnant women suffer from nausea, vomiting, and many other “morning sickness” symptoms during pregnancy. Such symptoms can make it quite difficult for women’s bodies to retain all the nutrients gained from their normal diet. While full meals can sometimes be difficult to keep down, prenatal vitamins – especially gummies – are easily washed down with a sip of water. They can provide women with the comfort of knowing they are getting all the essential nutrients for a healthy pregnancy, when getting those nutrients from a normal diet may be posing problems. Not only that, but prenatal vitamins can also reduce headaches, mood swings, and other unwanted side-effects of pregnancy.
What are the Benefits of Prenatal Vitamins?
Our bodies require certain nutrients to sustain optimal health across all spectrums. However, during pregnancy, it’s not uncommon to see deficiencies in some of the most important vitamins and minerals. Prenatal vitamins package together all the key nutrients needed to support health for both the mother and baby.
- Folic acid and folate help support brain and spine development. One of the main nutrients in prenatal vitamins take the form of folic acid or folate. Both have large quantities of vitamin B9, which is essential for the baby’s spine, brain, and overall nervous system. It’s important that women take prenatal vitamins early on or even prior to pregnancy as the development of the spine and brain is most influenced during the first four weeks of pregnancy. Taking prenatal vitamins with folate or folic acid can also help reduce the risk of babies developing neural defects early on in life.
- Immune support through Zinc, vitamin A, and vitamin C. Most women are advised against taking any over-the-counter medications during pregnancy. This can pose a real problem in the case of a flu or cold. Prenatal vitamins offer the body essential nutrients to support the production of white blood cells and strengthen the body’s front line of defense.
- Sustain energy levels through B vitamins and omega-3s. As many women try to avoid caffeine during pregnancy, it can be a real battle dealing with mood swings and fatigue. By taking a supplement with B vitamins, omega-3s, chromium, selenium, and other key vitamins, pregnant women can receive the energy they need, in a way that isn’t harmful to them or their babies.
- Iron to support the placenta and fetus. Iron is critical in helping the body make blood to supply oxygen to the fetus. Take a prenatal vitamin with iron can also help prevent anemia, which stems from having a low number of healthy red blood cells.
- Iodine supplements for thyroid support. Medical professionals estimate that a woman’s need for iodine increases by nearly 50% during pregnancy. Iodine is fundamental in thyroid support, hormone regulation, and our cardiovascular health. Prenatal vitamins with iodine can help women regulate mood swings, fatigue, shortness of breath, and other symptoms of pregnancy.
- Nurturing an overall healthy pregnancy. By taking a prenatal vitamin, pregnant woman can supplement their normal diet and ensure they get all the proper nutrition their baby needs.
When Should You Start Taking Prenatal Vitamins?
Most medical professionals recommend that women begin to take prenatal vitamins even before conception. If you are currently trying to get pregnant, now is the time to start taking prenatal vitamins! Some of the baby’s most important development happens in the first trimester, so it’s best to supply your body with the nutrients your baby will need ahead of time. Plus, it’s a great way to get a head of the less-than-desirable pregnancy symptoms like nausea, fatigue, and mood swings.
Which Prenatal Vitamin Should You be Taking?
Most women will benefit from taking an all-encompassing prenatal vitamin, something that includes all the vitamins, minerals, and nutrients mentioned before. The best prenatal vitamin is VitaVida Naturals Complete Prenatal Multivitamin. It’s a 100% natural blend of more than 30 essential vitamins and minerals, providing women with everything needed for a healthy pregnancy.
The prenatal vitamins from VitaVida have a long list of natural vitamins and minerals, which includes, folate, zinc, iodine, calcium, choline, and vitamins A,B,C,D, E, and K. These tasty, non- GMO gummies are carefully crafted to include everything pregnant women need to battle morning-sickness, regulate energy levels, and promote an overall healthy pregnancy. A prenatal vitamin like VitaVida’s is the best way for women to guarantee that both the mother and baby’s nutritional needs are taken care of.
A Conclusion on Prenatal Vitamins for Pregnant Women
Pregnancy will never be easy, but prenatal vitamins can certainly make the journey more bearable. By ensuring you get all the nutrients you and your baby require, you can put both mind and body at ease. Who would put themselves through agonizing nausea and unbearable headaches if they didn’t have to?
Once again, if you are currently pregnant, or are planning to be, checkout the prenatal gummies from VitaVida. They’re created to empower pregnant women with all the nutritious fuel they need, and they taste great too!